The Association of patients with facial anomalies and their parents – ALA is a Bulgarian non-governmental organization found in 1997. The Association cooperates with parents, patients and medical specialists in order to prevent abandoning of children with facial anomalies and increasing the quality of treatment of the children. The idea to create this Association comes from a group of parents, which intend to defend the interests of the children before the health authorities and to provide the best possible treatment.
Association ALA wants to provide all the necessary information and support to children with facial anomalies and their parents in order to ensure sufficient development of these children. We are lobbying for changes in the health care and social politics in order to improve the condition of children with facial anomalies.
A better future for children with facial anomalies. We believe that every child is unique in his/her difference.
AIMS OF ALA
The main purpose of ALA is to decrease the number of abandoned children with facial anomalies in Bulgaria. In order to achieve this purpose ALA is working on a following strategy:
- Educational trainings and seminars for health specialists;
- Training for parents, allowing them to give support to other parents;
- Increasing the number of informed people about problems with facial anomalies in the society;
- Development of emotional an psychological help for children and parents;
- Development of a hotline.
Since 2004 ALA is a member of the European Network of Cleft Support Organizations – ENCSO.